Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Osiris Prochymal Stem Cell Transplant Update and XBP1 Info

So I have to think that I got more than a placebo. While on the high level I am more relaxed, happy and content than I though possible, I am also under a lot of day-to-day stress and pressure. As almost anyone with Crohn's Disease will tell you, there is a near concrete link between stress and Crohn's Disease flare ups. With my recent stress levels, I am pretty confident that pre-Osiris Prochymal I would be in a flare up. The good news is that I am not. The pain has subsided quite a bit and I am generally feeling really great as it relates to Crohn's. My improvements were enough to qualify me for phase II and as soon as I enter a flare-up, I am ready for 4 more treatments. I am more living with Crohn's now than I am suffering from it, and that is a big step in the right direction! Anyways, to you guys that are in Crones flare-ups or have been recently diagnosed....keep your heads up...and let me know if you have any questions. Be sure to use the search feature on this blog as we have covered alot of topics over the years.

-Scottie

PS - Intersing info here exploring the genetic link to Crohn's

A team of scientists have discovered that the XBP1 gene is a risk factor for developing Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis, forms of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD).

The investigators created a mouse model in which they deleted XBP1within the epithelium. They found that the mice spontaneously developed an intestinal inflammation that resembled IBD. The lack of the XBP1 gene disabled the normal communication between intestinal epithelial cells and gut bacteria, resulting in dysfunctional immune response and disease, the researchers explain.

The researchers then reportedly demonstrated that alterations in this gene in the intestinal-lining cells represent risk factors for development of Crohn's and colitis. The study was conducted by scientists from
Brigham and Women's Hospital, Harvard Medical School, and institutes in Germany, The Netherlands, and Austria. Results appear in the September 5 issue of Cell.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear that you are feeling better. I am in the screening process for the same clinical trial. Thank you so much for your blog. You are very relatable and very much appreciated. Take care.

Sarah's Blog said...

So glad you're feeling better. I would hate to see you sick. Now lets just see if we can get the rest of that old body of yours healthy.

Anonymous said...

I am happy to see you are feeling well now. You have really provided great info that help other people.

Anonymous said...

I have been treated with almost everything including surgery 2 times in the past 12 months (Humira, Remacaid). The first surgery left me in extreme pain. Not the kind of chrone's pain we're all farmiliar with, this was mechanical. I found a different surgeon and he found a huge wad of scar tissue in my right lower abdomen that happened to be attached to my right ovary, appendix, and small bowel. The doctors told me I'd feel better after the first surgery, but I only felt worse. They did c.t. after c.t. and kept telling me it was chrone's. They even had me on Humira. Which didn't work. One surgeon even wanted to remove the rest of my colon and my terminal ileum. I have currently switched gastro docs and I am having a flare up as we speak. So far I'm on endocort and pentasa daily, but my new doc wants me to go back on humira. I'm gun shy about it and have lots!!! of anxiety about getting the shots. Please pray for me as I know what you all are going through. Don't give up and pray for a cure and know that you're not alone. Brandy in MO

Crohn's Disease Blog