Thursday, October 30, 2008

Crohn's Disease and Arthritis - Anyone Else Feel my Pain?

Many Crohn's patients suffer from Arthritis as well (usually Enteropathic). It is my understanding that enteropathic arthritis usually affects a large lower extremity joint and often occurs when the bowel disease is flaring. I am an avid athlete and am constantly suffering from joint pain. It moves around from spot to spot (lots in knees and ankles), however it is ALWAYS in my hands and fingers. They are constantly sore and swollen. I am also having severe foot pain. I am experiencing my second bout where the inside foot/ankle is consistently locking while i walk, causing almost unbearable pain. I am wondering if I have a stress frature of some sort??

An excellent discussion on the topic can be found at the medhelp site.

Anyways, I have touched on this subject before, but it is a hot topic for me right now and would love to know who else has Crohn's and Arthritis and what you do to treat it.

6 comments:

Katie Clark said...

Hey Scottie. I'm a pretty avid triathlete and surfer and get pretty bad joint pain often with my Crohn's and more recently Wegener's issues. I have found so much relief through acupuncture and yoga. Let me know if you have any other questions. Happy to help in any way I can.

Jaime said...

I have been quietly following your blog but this subject is very familiar. My husband has crohn's and has arthritis. His is called spondyloarthropathy and sounds a lot like what you describe. His hands, fingers, feet, toes, and knees are almost always painful or swollen. He also has pain in his back and shoulders. He actually takes Humira and 6mp for the arthritis. That helps, but not completely. He sees a rheumatologist. You might consider consulting one.

I hope that helps a little.

Anonymous said...

The joint pain in my hips and pubic symphysis has been severe enough where I was not able to walk stairs or walk without a cane.

I also have bad cramping in the tendons in my feet so that I could not walk or drive.

They've done an MRI from top to bottom, a CT scan of my entire body, and bone scans. Nothing shows up. Of course whenever an appointment rolls around I'm not having enough pain to prevent me from going through the "raise your leg" kind of tests so officially I have no problem.

Anonymous said...

The joint pain in my hips and pubic symphysis has been severe enough where I was not able to walk stairs or walk without a cane.

I also have bad cramping in the tendons in my feet so that I could not walk or drive.

They've done an MRI from top to bottom, a CT scan of my entire body, and bone scans. Nothing shows up. Of course whenever an appointment rolls around I'm not having enough pain to prevent me from going through the "raise your leg" kind of tests so officially I have no problem.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I feel your pain. I have Crohn's. I've been waking up every morning with swollen hands, very painful, and aches all over my body. Mostly its my hands and lower back. I had this over the summer and was put on prednisone. I had a very bad psychological reaction, but the swelling went away for 2 months. Now it is back in full force. I take Humira and 6MP for the Crohn's. I refuse to take prednisone again. I don't know what to do anymore.
-Crohnie in NY

Anonymous said...

Yep - I had the same "moving around" arthritis with pretty constant pain in the fingers. I've been on Remicade for about 2 years and it really works. I have some suspicion it also helps that I try to stay active (not as athletic as you), but I haven't tested this.

Crohn's Disease Blog